CTI Professional Flight Training

Professionalism, Safety, and Adventure

Frequently Asked Questions

Does CTI Professional Flight Training have a standardized curriculum?

All of our courses follow the proven curriculum of the Jeppesen Pilot Training System. Jeppesen, a Boeing company, is the world’s leader in flight information and pilot training systems. Jeppesen used an application-oriented approach to pilot training, which teaches the how and why of each concept, not just the facts.

Is there financing available?

Our school does not offer direct financing or loans, but we do have several financing partners that can help you pay for your flight training on favorable terms. LEARN MORE

What is examination authority and how does it help me?

Many students lose time and money waiting for an available Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) to become available. CTI Professional Flight Training has examining authority, which means you schedule your end of course check with the chief or assistant chief instructor, rather than having to wait for a DPE. The examinations are equally rigorous, but many students find they are more comfortable and may perform better when they’re flying with a familiar person.

How do you handle my payments?

Your money is safe with us. Many students have heard horror stories of flight schools failing and leaving in the night, taking students’ deposits with them.  No fewer than ten local flight schools have gone bankrupt in recent years. Even where the student wants to transfer because of poor instruction or low aircraft availability, many of our competitors retain 25% of the student’s payment before allowing them to transfer! At CTI PFT, all unspent funds on account with our school are 100% refundable. We do not retain any percentage of your payments in the event that you withdraw from our school.

*Refund policy varies for international students enrolled in group programs.

What is a Part 141 or Part 61 flight school? Which is better for me?

In the US, there are two sets of regulations governing flight training, addressed in Federal Aviation Regulations Part 61 and Part 141. Part 141 schools are regulated by the FAA, and must have detailed pre-planned training programs. They are also required to maintain a minimum pass rate for their students, meaning the school is required to offer a consistent quality program. Part 141 training can be the most efficient way to complete full time training and begin a pilot career. Part 61 is generally better for part time training because it is more relaxed and flexible. We offer training under either part, but we recommend you choose your course based on your availability and your goals!

Why does an FAA-approved flight school matter?

Even if you study under Part 61, studying at a Part 141-approved school helps guarantee a high level of quality and professionalism, structure, and expertise. By following a clear syllabus and maintaining rigorous standards, we offer training that ensures you will encounter all the topics necessary to get your license in the most efficient way possible.

What’s the difference between your two locations?

Both of our locations use the same FAA-approved Part 141 curriculum on every course, but there are differences in the fleet and weather. The Tennessee location has fewer rainy or cloudy days in the summer, while Florida has fewer in the winter. As a CTI PFT student, you may have the option to do parts of your training in each location to make sure you get the most efficient training experience possible.

How long will it take me to complete each of the ratings?

All course durations are based on a full-time schedule (at least four hours daily).

  • Private Pilot – 1.5 months
  • Instrument Rating – 1.5 months
  • Commercial Pilot – 3months
  • Professional Pilot Program (Private to Commercial) – 6 months
  • Professional Pilot Program (Instrument to Commercial) – 4 months
  • Certified Flight Instructor Airplane – 1.5 months
  • Certified Flight Instructor Instrument – 3 weeks Assumes student is IFR Current before training commences.
  • Certified Flight Instructor Multi-Engine – 2 weeks Assumes applicant already holds the aeronautical experience requirements before training commences (15 hours PIC of a Multi-Engine Airplane.)
  • Flight Review – 1 day
  • Instrument Proficiency Check – 1 day

What’s a check ride? How do check rides work at CTI Professional Flight Training?

Depending on what type of training you are conducting (Part 61 or Part 141) you will either conduct a check ride with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (Part 61) or an End of Course Stage Check at CTI Professional Flight Training (Part 141).  CTI Professional Flight Training has been granted Examination Authority by the FAA in most of our programs, which allows us to conduct end of course stage checks for students who enroll/complete the programs for which we have been granted Examination Authority.

Who schedules the flying lessons, and how is it done?

CTI Professional Flight Training’s instructors and administrative staff schedules both ground and flight training. Our planes are only used by our students and staff, so scheduling flight lessons is our top priority! Private rentals of the aircraft for non-students will never delay your training.

Who keeps records of my training?

CTI Professional Flight Training is responsible for maintaining all records of training for our students according to Federal Aviation Regulations.

What happens when weather or maintenance problems cancel a flying lesson? Who’s responsible for rescheduling lessons and reporting maintenance problems?

CTI Professional Flight Training staff and Instructors are responsible for the scheduling of students ground and flight activities to ensure timely completion of each training program. We do our best to make sure each student’s flights are rescheduled as efficiently as possible to ensure you stay on track with your training program.

How will U.S. flight training help me outside the U.S.?

Flight training in the United States can help you become a pilot anywhere in the world. The US has cheap fuel, tons of open airspace, temperate climates, and no aviation user fees. In addition, the US offers the opportunity to quickly learn English up to the internationally required proficiency level through total English immersion. Most importantly, the well-respected training necessary to earn FAA licenses is recognized by licensing agencies around the world. For specific information on how to convert an FAA license for use in your country, contact us at fly@ctipft.com.

What kind of jobs will I be qualified for when I graduate?

CTI Professional Flight Training’s Professional Pilot Training Program meets all licensing requirements for our students to be legally employed as a US Commercial Pilot. Our students graduate with approximately 200 hours of experience, and can stay on at school for “time-building,” or flying additional hours to gain additional flight experience. Many of our students take about 50 additional hours of time building to qualify for jobs in other countries, such as Venezuela or Peru. In addition, if you are legally qualified to work in the United States, we often hire our own students as instructors, so you can pass along your love of aviation to others while you build experience!

Can you help me get a student visa?

Our school is registered with SEVP, and we can help you complete the steps necessary to get an M-1 student visa. For detailed instructions visit The US State Department website, or contact us at fly@ctipft.com.

What are the requirements for obtaining a student visa?

Once you are accepted to our program and pay your $2,100.00 deposit, we will send you a Form I-20. Then, you must pay your SEVIS I-901 fee at www.FMJfee.com, making sure that the information on your passport, your I-20, and your I-901 fee form all match. Next, you apply for your visa at any American embassy or consulate before you leave for the US. You can get help with this step at the US State Department Website. Notify us when you have received your visa, and when you plan to travel to the US. Then, you begin the TSA approval process by logging on to www.flightschoolcandidates.gov. Complete the account request form and submit. When you receive your User ID and password, log back on and complete the online form. The TSA will confirm that they received your application and send you instructions for how to pay the $130 fee through their website. Once you arrive at CTI Professional Flight Training, we will help you complete the last step, fingerprinting. When the TSA confirms that they have received your fingerprints, you are ready to begin training. You can get more detailed information on the entire process from www.ice.gov.

Do you arrange housing?

We may arrange housing for students who arrive in groups, such as students who come to us through our partnership in India.  We also have arrangements with local hotels and apartment complexes to help students arrange their own housing. Just ask us if you need help.

I have experience outside the U.S. How can I use the hours I’ve already earned to convert my foreign license?

Depending on what course/and or courses you want to take, you will need to first have a through logbook review by CTI Professional Flight Training. We will then be able to provide you the necessary information/costs about the course you would like to perform. If you already hold a license from another country, you will have to visit the FAA’s website and fill out the form titled “Verification of the Authenticity of a Foreign Pilot License/Medical Certificate.” Your correspondence letter from the FAA varies in time duration depending on the country where you performed your training.

Can CTI Professional Flight Training help me build flight hours?

As a student enrolled at CTI Professional Flight Training, you have the opportunity to perform additional hours outside of what the specific course provides. We often offer special time building discounts for our graduates.  Ask to hear our latest rates! 

Have Questions?